Thursday, June 14, 2007

MYOB Tip: Tracking More Than Salesperson Data

The majority of small business owners do not need nor use the Salesperson field to track employee sales. Did you know you can use this feature to track all kinds of other useful information such as which methods of advertising are paying off?

Example: Assume I want to track my marketing efforts. I use the Yellow pages, newspaper advertisements and my website for promotion. To do this, I would create an employee card for each item I want to track. I simply go to 'lists' in the top menu and scroll down to 'cards.' Click the employee tab and "add new."



You can see above I have added a cards for Newspaper Ad, Website and Yellow Pages. When you create a sale, simply use the salesperson field to begin tracking. In my example, I am tracking marketing. If my buyer heard about my products from the Yellow Pages, I would enter this into the salesperson field as shown below.



Now I can generate reports such as Analyze Sales [Salesperson] to see information at a glance on the new data I am collecting.

This is a handy little feature and can easily be adapted to track information of interest to you and your business.


Possibilities include easy monitoring of:

  • Referrers
  • Payment methods
  • Preferred appointment times
  • Geographic location of customers

If you are not tracking the sales prowess of your employees, it makes sense to put this feature to good use elsewhere.

If you would like to see more MYOB tips and tricks in the blog, please leave your feedback in the comments field or contact me at christie@lewistaxation.com.au.

Your thoughts and suggestions are always very welcome.


0 comments:

The comments provided in this blog are general in nature and not intended to be specific advice. Each situation is different. You should discuss your circumstances with Alan (or another tax agent) to obtain individual advice before acting on any information.